Savor the taste of our traditional 'Abuela's Black Beans', a special recipe from Harmacy Hot Sauce. Prepared with black beans simmered with aromatic herbs, onion, and green bell pepper, then seasoned with our unique 'Cinco' sauce for that extra kick. Serve over white rice for a hearty, flavorful meal. Authentic home cooking made simple with Harmacy Hot Sauce!
- 1 pound black beans
- 2 yellow onions
- 2 green bell peppers
- 10 cloves garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup 'Cinco'
- 1 packet sazon goya (without annato)
1. Pick through the black beans to remove any stones, foreign material, and discolored or otherwise imperfect beans. Rinse well. Place beans into the cooking vessel and cover with water to an inch above the beans. Leave to soak for one hour.
2. Add bay leaves, half each of an onion and a bell pepper, and 3 cloves of garlic, unchopped, and bring the beans up to a boil (don’t be afraid to add a little water if the beans soak up more than expected). Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until beans have softened.
3. While the beans are simmering, prepare the sofrito with olive oil and the remaining onions, bell peppers, and garlic.
4. When the beans are soft (should crush easily between thumb and forefinger) remove the bay leaves, whole onion, pepper and garlic cloves. Mash about 1/3 of the beans in the pot.
5. Add the sofrito, oregano, cumin, and sazon goya. Mix well and season with salt, pepper, vinegar, Cinco, and additional olive oil if desired. Simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes to allow flavors to infuse, and serve over white rice. Garnish with minced raw onion and cilantro (optional).